1. How can career planning help me?
Career planning maps out how you’re going to get from where you are now to where you’d ideally like to be. Having a clear vision and goal in mind will help you to identify alternative pathways and actions you need to take to get there. Career planning also enables you to take stock of your strengths and how you can best leverage these, as well as any critical improvement areas you need to be aware of so you can tackle these areas so they don’t trip you up.
2. What support and resources are available to help me plan and progress my career?
You are the ultimate owner of your career and the choices you make. However, there are numerous resources and sources of support you should call on. In addition to your manager and the HR team, you should also put aside time to put together a “Personal Development Board” or group of diverse people within and outside your organization who can assist you with your careers in different ways including providing feedback, guidance and advice, mentoring, encouragement, etc. You can also search for career resources on the Internet and professional networking platforms like LinkedIn that will provide additional tips and guidance.
3. How can I find out more about what it’s like to work in a particular job and/or functional area?
The first step is to find out who is currently doing, or has recently done, the jobs you’re keen to do in future. You can then connect with them to invite them to a virtual or in-person meeting to find out more about their experiences. It is important you prepare some questions to find out as much as possible about the role. Examples include:
- What do you most like about the role?
- What do you least like? Are there any drawbacks?
- What skills and capabilities do you need to be successful? How did you develop these?
- Are there any specific qualifications or other professional requirements that are important to succeed in the role?
- Can you walk me through what a typical day looks like?
- What are the opportunities for progression and growth in the role/function?
- What is the team environment like?
- Would it be possible to ‘shadow’ you for a few hours so I can observe a ‘slice’ of what you do, e.g., a client meeting or team workshop?
- Who else can I chat with to find out more?
4. How can I make the best career choices that take account of my desired lifestyle and personal situation?
[Download full version to read more]